Here are the highlights and information for the upcoming week at Westmount:
VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: CONFIDENCE
1. CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS- Please note that the School District takes your child's safety seriously. We will continue to ask parents to complete Criminal Record Checks if working with our students in a multitude of areas. We will be moving to an ON LINE format through the Ministry of Justice. As soon as the Westmount link has been created by the Ministry of Justice I will let parents know that they can access this on the Westmount website. This will save time as parents will not have to go the RCMP detachment twice, rather, the results are emailed to the principal.
2. FIELD TRIPS and YOUNGER SIBLINGS- This past week we had four classes attend the Pumpkin Patch. It was brought to my attention that many parents brought their toddler along on the field trip. I am writing to let parents know, and will have this again in the November newsletter, that younger siblings are not permitted on class field trips. Legally those siblings are not part of our school district and should something unfortunate happen it puts myself, the teacher and the district in a comprimising situation. Also, if parents are attending our trips, the focus needs to be on the care of our Westmount students and the child you have in the class. Should you have concerns or questions please don't hesistate to contact me or your child's teacher.
3. PAC UPDATE:
November and December Hot Lunch Orders are now available on line at Hotlunches.net A letter from the PAC went home Thursday or will be coming home Monday where the instructions are clearly laid out to register your child. November and December Hot Lunch Orders are due Friday October 28th and no late orders can be accepted. A paper copy of the lunch order will be available at the office for those that don't have acces to internet or care to use paypal.
WOLFPACK CLOTHING ORDERS: Order forms went home this week and are due back Mon. Oct. 31 for those wanting to get in the school spirit and purchase a Wolfpack clothing item. They make great Christmas gifts too and we can keep it a secret from your child if you like! Cheques should be made out to Westmount PAC please.
PAC CHRISTMAS BAZAAR: On November 5 from 9-2 the PAC are holding a fundraiser event in our gym deemed a Christmas Bazaar. See the attached flyer for all the details- especially if you want to participate and put a table into the gym that day to sell product.
PAC POPCORN DAY is WEDNESDAY! Send $1 with your child to get a bag of popcorn. Delivered for snack time.
4. Monday is School Library Day in Canada! We will be promoting literacy and doing a Drop Everything and Read Event at Westmount. We also have classes that will be involved in a DANCE PLAY workshop in the afternoon that the School District organized for us.
5. Mr. Blower and Mrs. Finley's classes please return your #SD73UNITED Leadership Conference Permission Forms so you can attend the event on Wednesday.
6. Volleyball this week: Tier 1 boys travel to Clearwater Tuesday and will leave by bus at 1:15. Home around 5:30-6. Thursday Tier 1 girls play at Westmount and Tier 2 girls travel to St. Ann's.
7. Wednesday is our RECOGNITION ASSEMBLY for K-5/6 (our Gr. 6/7's won't be recognized this month as they had the chance to attend a School District Leadership Conference so we made the decision to have them participate in that) Mrs. Eagles' class will be performing. Parents will get notification from the teacher if your child is getting an award. 8:45 am start.
8. WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 26 is also TAKE ME OUTSIDE DAY! Teachers are encouraged to involve their classes in an OUTDOOR CLASSROOM experience that day and as parents, make a point of doing something special with your child afterschool that gives them fresh air and an appreciation of nature.
9. LEADERSHIP STUDENTS are participating in WE SCARE HUNGER CAMPAIGN. Please send non perishable food items with your child this week to help the cause.
10. HARVEST DANCE is THURSDAY! Send $1 with your child as a donation for this Gr. 7 fundraiser. Primary Dance is 11:15 and Intermediate Dance is 1:00. No photography is permitted at the dance as parents and students do not have access to Media consent release forms to know which students can and can not be photographed.
11. We have a busy Friday at our school! It is SPIRIT DAY! Wear your blue or Wolfpack Attire! It is also our A.I.R. REWARD DAY! For earning 309 Howl Outs the students will get an extended recess and a special treat when they come inside! It is also COTTON CANDY DAY! Thanks to all of you that ordered to support our school! Wow! This will be handed out to students at the end of the school day to enjoy. Mrs. Finley, Mrs. Eagles and Mr. Blower's classes go Swimming on Friday as well in the afternoon so don't forget your bathing suit and towel.
12. Reminder that Monday is Halloween- Oct. 31. We do a Primary Costume Parade in the morning and primary teachers will communicate expectations for that event. Intermediates do not wear costumes on Halloween, but may wear Black and Orange for school spirit if they choose. A reminder that starting November 1- Halloween Candy stays at home and should not become part of lunches.
13. LIFETOUCH PHOTO ORDERS are due OCT. 31/ Retakes are November 2.
14. The NOVEMBER NEWSLETTER will also be emailed to families at the start of the new month!